True Iron Bloggers:
- Adedayo Adeniyi (@daydah) in Daydah Concepts :
- David Opati Aswani (@susumunyu) :
- Manfred Gosch (@1aolivenoel) :
- Christine Graf (@christinegraf) :
- Hagen Graf (@hagengraf) :
- Dick Olsson (@dickolsson) :
- Joeri Poesen (@jpoesen) :
- Juergen Rinck (@irgendlink) :
- Lena Roohnikan (@lerooco) :
- Isa Schulz (@murgeys) :
The lazy ones:
Eliminated because of excessive debt:
|this week:||10 €|
The PayPal account contains 50 Euro (Thanks to Daniel 😉 )!
- David Opati Aswani (@susumunyu) -25€ or 5 good deeds
- Joeri Poesen (@jpoesen) – 15 € or 3 good deed
- Moein Rezaei (@moeiiin) – 15 € or 3 good deed
- Manfred Gosch (@1aolivenoel) – 10 € or 2 good deeds
- Hagen Graf (@hagengraf) – 10 € or 2 good deed
- Lena Roohnikan (@lerooco) – 5 € or 1 good deed
- Christine Graf (@christinegraf) – 5 € or 1 good deed
- Juergen Rinck (@irgendlink) – 5 € or 1 good deed
- Harry Tilley (@tilleyharry) – 5 € or 1 good deed
Previously retired (must pay 30 € for the re-entry):
- Martin Gosch (since 16.01.2017)
- David M.Wampamba (since 03.04.2017)
- Osbert Mwijukye (since 03.04.2017)
- Jonathan Rukundo (since 13.03.2017)
- Shedy Serem (since 16.01.2017)
Previously retired (must pay nothing for the re-entry):
- Daniel Roohnikan (since 17.04.2017)
This article is part of a series on a journey through Buddhism.
See http://jpoesen.com/articles/isms-and-belief-systems for personal context.
The beginning: Siddhārtha Gautama becomes The Buddha
The story goes that one day, roughly 2600 years ago, Siddhārtha Gautama, a young Indian prince, had a stroll outside the palace. He discovered he was completely outside his comfort zone: never having been outside the palace walls he had never encountered sickness, starvation, old age, or death.
So distressed, Siddārtha abandoned palace life at age 29 and set out to understand and conquer the suffering he had witnessed. His quests brought him to various practices and beliefs, which he all studied guided by venerated teachers. However, these became increasingly ascetic and austere, ultimately leading him to self-starvation, self-mortification and near-death.
During his recovery, while sitting under a bodhi tree in Bodh Gaya, Siddārtha is said to have experienced awakening (bodhi): insight into karma, how and why human beings suffer, and what each and every one of us can do about it.
From that point on Siddhārtha Gautama was referred to as the Buddha - the Awakened One, also translated as the Enlightened One. That said, as we'll see later on, the Buddha teaches us that awakening can be achieved by anyone at any time, and anyone who is awakened can be referred to as a buddha as well.
The Four Noble Truths
While sat under the bodhi tree, the Buddha came to deeply understand the nature of suffering and how to alleviate it. These understandings form the Four Noble Truths, and they are the essence of Buddhism.
There are many, many Buddhist schools, traditions, flavours, sects, and whatnot. Some proclaim the be the One and Only Absolutely Correct Buddhist Way, while others just do their thing in their own corner without bothering anyone else.
However, the Core of the Buddhist teaching - The Four Noble Truths - is a set of values and practices common to all practitioners of Buddhism.
» Coming up: Minimal Viable Buddhism Part 2: The Four Noble Truths
Last week I asked if someone has an idea what Ethereum is about. Dick Olsson told me in a comment that it’s possible to create a kind of blockchain for our iron blogger project. What I know so far is the wikipedia article about Ethereum, some content of the website of the Swiss foundation Ethereum.org and a few videos from 2014 …
Jemand nannte mich seltsam, weil es ungewöhnlich für ihn ist, dass eine Frau mit Hingabe Wände verputzt, Naturstein Mauern und Fußböden baut, Fliesen verlegt und gern alte Häuser renoviert. Keiner nannte mich seltsam, als ich Anlagen für die Reifenproduktion einkaufte, Vertriebsniederlassungen für einen Reifenhersteller aufbaute, Busse verkaufte. Allerdings schauten meine zumeist männlichen Kunden anfangs schon […]
We (Samuel and I) were there yesterday, to represent Daydah at the event. Glad we made it early, as seats were eaten up faaast!
Liebe Blogleser von 1aOlivenoel,
eine Straße die nach mir benannt ist habe ich nicht. Dennoch habe ich mich sehr gefreut als vor einigen Tagen die Mitarbeiter der örtlichen Gemeindeverwaltung mein Hinweisschild montiert haben.
So ist es nun einfacher den Weg zu 1aOlivenoel.de zu finden.